THIS BLOG ATTEMPTS TO SHOW HOW SCIENCE IS CATCHING UP WITH REVEALED RELIGION

THIS BLOG IS AN ATTEMPT TO PUT ALL THE COOL STUFF THAT I BUMP INTO ABOUT THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST AND EVENTS THAT LEAD UP TO IT INTO ONE LOCATION.
THE CONTENTS WILL BE FROM AN LDS PERSPECTIVE. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ANYTHING IN HERE, I DO NOT PARTICULARLY CARE TO ARGUE, UNLESS YOU CAN ADD TO THIS BODY OF WORK. I HAVE AN OPEN MIND, THAT IS WHY I READ STUFF FROM ALL DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES AND SEEK LEARNING FROM THE BEST BOOKS. I JUST AM NOT HERE TO ARGUE ABOUT IT - BUT TO PUT IT OUT THERE WHERE OTHERS CAN PERUSE/PURSUE IT. I TAKE PARTICULAR INTEREST IN HONEST SEEKERS OF TRUTH AND BELIEVE THAT SCIENCE IS REVEALED RELIGION'S BEST ALLY. YOU WILL SEE ALOT OF TOPICS IN THIS BLOG THAT SHOW SCIENCE BACKING - AND SLOWLY CATCHING UP WITH - REVEALED RELIGION.
ENJOY!!

Monday, August 24, 2015

ENDOWMENT CHANGES INSPIRED

Sometimes people struggle with change.  Sometimes, it rocks their world.

I just ask the Lord to verify that any change is of Him - and then I just roll on.  Sometimes, I question things - but NEVER make a snap judgment and hold a final opinion for sometimes decades until the Lord shows the "proof in the pudding" (after things set up).

When there was a watershed change in the Church as Joseph Smith was martyred, along with the "heir apparent", Hyrum Smith (Joseph Smith, Sr was already dead at that point), people were at a massive crossroads in their religious observance.  There were many vying for the "prize" including Emma (and her son, Joseph), Sydney Rigdon, Joseph Strang and so many others.  It was a crisis which left so many wandering the years.  To this day, we still have proof of the fallout of this singular event on June 27, 1844.  It has taken well over 150 years for the proof to emerge of that pudding experiment.

Many followed the RLDS path - and it has been an unmitigated disaster for many there.  Many followed Brigham west into a frightening uncertainty - and it appears that they won.  In the smugness and luxury of retrospect, we are able to sit back and make the call as to which direction it was supposed to go - simply armed with the data based on outcomes.  Surely, we have all the proof we need.

In 1890, we had yet another watershed moment.  Many splinters - many varied outcomes.  One clear choice as to which one was right.

On a much lesser scale, we had another watershed moment in 1978 with the proofs being the explosion of the gospel in Africa and, on a personal note, the amazing life of my mission president, Helvecio Martins and his family.

On an even lesser note, there were minor changes made to the endowment made in 1989, some of which have caused people to stumble.  Again - we are either led by revelation by those who, possibly not seeing all the impacts of decisions, but who follow commands with exactness, are doing the will of the Lord.  I found this on FB as an answer to my prayer the previous night.  God works in mysterious ways to help His children who struggle (not me, someone I love):

This story was told by a friend of mine in our ward. He used to work for the Prophet and Quorum of the Twelve directly. He told this in a talk last week. It gave me some good food for thought...
He said that when the temple movie changed back in the late 80's (not the new changes in the past few years), they had to translate it into several different languages before it became available. He was responsible for the bulk of that project. He was given a list of languages that it was to be translated into. Each translation involved flying people from different countries to SLC, where they would be here for two weeks doing the work. The work could not be "outsourced," but had to be done in Salt Lake. The entire process was scheduled out for eighteen months. When he received the list, he noticed that there were several eastern bloc countries on it. He went to President Benson and told him that it would be impossible for him to get people from these countries to SLC. President Benson told him to keep moving forward on the schedule, and all would be well. So he put everything into motion. Shortly thereafter, the Berlin Wall fell, and the Soviet Union opened up, and one by one, countries began to declare their independence from the Soviet Union. The brother in our ward noticed that the countries breaking from the Soviet Union came in the precise order that they were scheduled on his temple language project. He began to predict (to his wife only) which one would fall next. He was always right.
He was able to schedule people from each country to come to SLC to do the temple translation in the exact order that the prophet had given him.
This man bore testimony of the divine calling of the prophet. He said (this was his sense only) that he felt that the prophet was following the directive of the Father in this project to exactness, but did not necessarily know how it was to be accomplished, only that it would be, because the Lord would prepare a way. It reminded me of Nephi, who went forward, being led by the Spirit, not knowing exactly how the plates would be gotten.
Anyway, perhaps the prophet knows what is coming, but does not know exactly the manner it will manifest. Like President Benson, he is following the Lord's directions with exactness. Perhaps those directions include just one step at a time. Perhaps events will unfold that will make sense in hindsight to him and to all of us. I don't know. I know that he is a seer and a revelator. If it is important for him to know all, I have no doubt that he will or has. I just thought this was a cool story, and wanted to share it.

11 comments:

  1. Wow! Profound! I am so grateful I am on God's team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've made a lot of good posts, but this is one of the most interesting ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/stock-up-on-canned-food-for-stock-market-crash-warns-former-gordon-brown-advisor-10469509.html

    It's always interesting when the MSM begin talking "crazy talk."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe it is by Gods design that we are covering Pres. Benson in RS & Priesthood this year. Just go back and search on speeches byu and YouTube the prophesies he was bold enough to declare pertaining to the now living generations and their part to play in the Return of our Savior Jesus Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure you want to follow Christ, as he is the only foundation upon which we can build. I'm also sure you want to cling to the word of God, as it is the only way in which we can make it through the mists of darkness and arrive at the tree of life.

    With that in mind, please consider the words of Jesus to the Nephites.

    3 Nephi 11
    31 Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, I will declare unto you MY DOCTRINE.

    32 And this is my doctrine, and it is the doctrine which the Father hath given unto me; and I bear record of the Father, and the Father beareth record of me, and the Holy Ghost beareth record of the Father and me; and I bear record that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me.

    33 And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God.

    34 And whoso believeth not in me, and is not baptized, shall be damned.

    35 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and I bear record of it from the Father; and whoso believeth in me believeth in the Father also; and unto him will the Father bear record of me, for he will visit him with fire and with the Holy Ghost.

    36 And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the Holy Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are one.

    37 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things.

    38 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God.

    39 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and whoso buildeth upon this buildeth upon my rock, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against them.

    40 And WHOSO SHALL DECLARE MORE OF LESS THAN THIS, AND ESTABLISH IT FOR MY DOCTRINE, THE SAME COMETH OF EVIL, and is not built upon my rock; but he buildeth upon a sandy foundation, and the gates of hell stand open to receive such when the floods come and the winds beat upon them.

    Is there any mention of temple ordinances or rituals in the doctrine of Christ? None. And Jesus makes it clear that anything more “cometh of evil.”

    When Jesus ministered among the Jews in Jerusalem, and when he ministered among the Nephites, he never tells the people to build temples or do any temple work. Why? Because:

    3 Nephi 12:47
    47 Old things are done away, and all things have become new.

    When Jesus finished his work the veil in the temple was rent.

    Matthew 27:51
    51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

    No longer was the law of Moses and associated temple rituals needed. Old things were done away!

    The scriptures are clear that salvation is obtained by having faith in Christ, repenting, being baptized and receiving the Holy Ghost.

    3 Nephi 11:33
    33 And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same SHALL BE SAVED; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God.

    Christ's words are plain. Can we be "more" saved with temple rituals? No. Anything more than the doctrine Christ set forth is not of him and "comethe of evil."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 49 ¶And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

      It's interesting how other translations render this verse. Here's the NIV: "I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been CLOTHED WITH POWER from on high."

      These words are also coming from Christ. Sounds like the endowment, which he restored through his living prophet was pretty important to the first apostles. I'm not particularly interested in your interpretation of the scriptures, but the endowment has been important to me in my life, and all of the covenants I've made with God have been vital to me as I have striven to repent and come unto Christ. Don't get confused by the rituals and pretty buildings, as it appears you are, but the basic message of the Temple is REPENTANCE and the BLESSINGS that come from Heaven because of that REPENTANCE and the forgiveness we receive through Christ. I'm very sorry you missed that. Christ is the saving power, but we are still judged according to our obedience.

      Delete
    2. 49 ¶And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

      It's interesting how other translations render this verse. Here's the NIV: "I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been CLOTHED WITH POWER from on high."

      These words are also coming from Christ. Sounds like the endowment, which he restored through his living prophet was pretty important to the first apostles. I'm not particularly interested in your interpretation of the scriptures, but the endowment has been important to me in my life, and all of the covenants I've made with God have been vital to me as I have striven to repent and come unto Christ. Don't get confused by the rituals and pretty buildings, as it appears you are, but the basic message of the Temple is REPENTANCE and the BLESSINGS that come from Heaven because of that REPENTANCE and the forgiveness we receive through Christ. I'm very sorry you missed that. Christ is the saving power, but we are still judged according to our obedience.

      Delete
    3. My guess is that those spirits who have accepted the temple ordinances on the other side of the veil will disagree with your incorrect ideas regarding the temple.

      Delete
  6. Either the leaders are prophets, seers and revelators or they are not. Bishop Koyle said they would all be replaced. Joseph Smith told the Bishop that they had their chance and failed. So what is the truth? Fortunately I don't think we will have to wait too many more years to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hindsight is 20/20, but difficult in the mist of the time we each live.You are correct, for time will tell, but it is require of all men (women) to know for themselves. President Brigham Young said; "I am more afraid that this people have so much confidence in their leaders that they will not inquire for themselves of God whether they are led by him. I am fearful they settle down in a state of blind self-security, trusting their eternal destiny in the hands of their leaders with a reckless confidence that in itself would thwart the purposes of God in their salvation, and weaken that influence they could give to their leaders, did they know for themselves, by the revelations of Jesus, that they are led in the right way. Let every man and woman know, by the whispering of the Spirit of God to themselves, whether their leaders are walking in the path the Lord dictates, or not. - Journal of Discourses, 9:150

    ReplyDelete
  8. the letter from the first presidency that you are looking for is at www.letters.lds.org (you have to log in to see them). There is a letter from years back that talks about avoiding a wide range of therapies, physical contact ect... It does not list activities individually, just the practices to watch out for...

    ReplyDelete