THIS BLOG ATTEMPTS TO SHOW HOW SCIENCE IS CATCHING UP WITH REVEALED RELIGION

THIS BLOG IS AN ATTEMPT TO PUT ALL THE COOL STUFF THAT I BUMP INTO ABOUT THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST AND EVENTS THAT LEAD UP TO IT INTO ONE LOCATION.
THE CONTENTS WILL BE FROM AN LDS PERSPECTIVE. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ANYTHING IN HERE, I DO NOT PARTICULARLY CARE TO ARGUE, UNLESS YOU CAN ADD TO THIS BODY OF WORK. I HAVE AN OPEN MIND, THAT IS WHY I READ STUFF FROM ALL DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES AND SEEK LEARNING FROM THE BEST BOOKS. I JUST AM NOT HERE TO ARGUE ABOUT IT - BUT TO PUT IT OUT THERE WHERE OTHERS CAN PERUSE/PURSUE IT. I TAKE PARTICULAR INTEREST IN HONEST SEEKERS OF TRUTH AND BELIEVE THAT SCIENCE IS REVEALED RELIGION'S BEST ALLY. YOU WILL SEE ALOT OF TOPICS IN THIS BLOG THAT SHOW SCIENCE BACKING - AND SLOWLY CATCHING UP WITH - REVEALED RELIGION.
ENJOY!!

Thursday, October 25, 2012

THE MEANING OF THE WORD LUCK

That, my friends is one word that I personally cannot stand - and have worked hard to purge it from my vocabulary.   I have been wanting to get my thoughts on this down forever - hopefully to do my part in purging the word from our collective vocabularies.  I cringe when I hear it across a pulpit - not so much from others who really do not know better.  I believe it will fade away in the Millennial model as obsolete and a silly thing of the past. 

It comes from the root word luz which means light in my second language, Portuguese - and some have said there is a connection to "luz -ifer", or light bearer.  I think most anyone would have a hard time making the entymological connection on that one.

I used to hear repeatedly my Mission President, Helvecio Martins (who became the first black Quorum of the 70 just as I was leaving the Fortaleza, Brazil mission back in 1990 and actually helped him with his english pronunciations as he prepared to give his first General Conference address), that "No hay que sorte, somente bencoes"; or, "there is no such thing as luck, only blessings".  He was a big believer in hard work - as he had pulled himself up by the bootstraps from a waif on the streets of Rio de Janiero to one of the corporate heads of PetroBras, now a world player in the oil industry as that country's national oil company.

Truly, if we believe in the concept of luck, we negate all that the Plan of Salvation is built upon, which is personal sacrifice and hard work - combined with grace, as supplied by a loving Father through His Son's atonement.  The grace covering where we cannot after our best efforts of laying our offering on the altar, presentable before the Father.  The plan of the d'evil one relied upon the concept of "something for nothing" - you just get a free pass because you are you.  This is the major problem I have with religion that is not revealed; you thrive in that alternate plan of salvation because you are you, not because of any effort or striving on your part.  Basic laws of physics state that if you put no energy into something (of a telestial nature at least), it will fall to its lowest state of being.  Just try and not mow or weed your back yard all summer long and you will get the message.....  We have been put into this fallen state so that we can learn the concept of work and progress.  We only have the fruit of the efforts after we have passed the test of mortality and live in a higher order; but it takes work to get there.

So luck, while there may be no direct connection of the word to lucifer, there is indeed an indirect one to the plan that was rejected in the Councils of Heaven.  We are either a lazy and indolent "something for nothing", lucky people, or we have the correct perspective and understand the concept of qualifying for (through striving) and enjoying the blessings of a loving Father in Heaven.

4 comments:

  1. Hi E-

    Good luck ...
    oops I mean best of luck ...
    oops I mean to say I wish you ...
    no never mind.

    Great point. Since I won't wish you anything, I will leave it at ...
    Thank You for an enlightening blog post.

    -D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, for this! It was very enlightening. I want to frame your quote, "There is no such thing as luck, only blessing." I've always considered my younger brother to be very 'lucky', but with this new perspective, I would agree he is very blessed.

    Terésa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly - I have an older sister Christine who told me once that I was lucky to get a full ride scholarship to engineering school and I then pointed out to her that there was no luck involved. I was the kid at the dining table with the books all spread out trying to concentrate on math and everything else while she was in the tv room with some sitcom blaring in on me..... So, there was alot of blessings involved there and tons of hard work. Zero luck.... I have no patience for that word.....

    ReplyDelete