THIS BLOG ATTEMPTS TO SHOW HOW SCIENCE IS CATCHING UP WITH REVEALED RELIGION

THIS BLOG IS AN ATTEMPT TO PUT ALL THE COOL STUFF THAT I BUMP INTO ABOUT THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST AND EVENTS THAT LEAD UP TO IT INTO ONE LOCATION.
THE CONTENTS WILL BE FROM AN LDS PERSPECTIVE. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ANYTHING IN HERE, I DO NOT PARTICULARLY CARE TO ARGUE, UNLESS YOU CAN ADD TO THIS BODY OF WORK. I HAVE AN OPEN MIND, THAT IS WHY I READ STUFF FROM ALL DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES AND SEEK LEARNING FROM THE BEST BOOKS. I JUST AM NOT HERE TO ARGUE ABOUT IT - BUT TO PUT IT OUT THERE WHERE OTHERS CAN PERUSE/PURSUE IT. I TAKE PARTICULAR INTEREST IN HONEST SEEKERS OF TRUTH AND BELIEVE THAT SCIENCE IS REVEALED RELIGION'S BEST ALLY. YOU WILL SEE ALOT OF TOPICS IN THIS BLOG THAT SHOW SCIENCE BACKING - AND SLOWLY CATCHING UP WITH - REVEALED RELIGION.
ENJOY!!

Sunday, October 7, 2012

CALLING AND ELECTION VS BAPTISM BY FIRE AND THE HOLY GHOST

Wow - another hard hit right out of the ball park by Serenitylala on this topic.  She is one smart cookie - I actually feel kind of dumb reading her stuff.  Not too many people make me feel downright dumb - but I am trying to hang in there:

Re: Calling and Election made sure
Unread postby serenitylala » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:01 am
I was just thinking... [okay, I was avoiding studying medicine, because I'm all studied out...] ...that we have a fantastic discussion here on calling and elections made sure, but there isn't much said on the natural precursor to the C&E being made sure, which is the Baptism of Fire and Holy Ghost.

Granted, I know there were some awesome things said on the subject, because everyone that has posted is amazing.

Moses 6: 60
For by the water ye keep the commandment; by the Spirit ye are justified, and by the blood ye are sanctified;

The Baptism of Fire and Holy Ghost, as represented by the change of robes in the endowment, is the necessary and essential step of justification in the progression towards exaltation.

2 Nephi 31: 13, 17-19
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I know that if ye shall follow the Son, with full purpose of heart, acting no hypocrisy and no deception before God, but with real intent, repenting of your sins, witnessing unto the Father that ye are willing to take upon you the name of Christ, by baptism—yea, by following your Lord and your Savior down into the water, according to his word, behold, then shall ye receive the Holy Ghost; yea, then cometh the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost; and then can ye speak with the tongue of angels, and shout praises unto the Holy One of Israel.

17 Wherefore, do the things which I have told you I have seen that your Lord and your Redeemer should do; for, for this cause have they been shown unto me, that ye might know the gate by which ye should enter. For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost.
18 And then are ye in this strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life; yea, ye have entered in by the gate; ye have done according to the commandments of the Father and the Son; and ye have received the Holy Ghost, which witnesses of the Father and the Son, unto the fulfilling of the promise which he hath made, that if ye entered in by the way ye should receive.
19 And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.


So the Lord has blessed a person with a Baptism of Fire and Holy Ghost... then they get that question, 'what do I do next? What sacrifices are expected of me individually in order to obtain my C&E made sure?'

He so knows me, because I'm always saying, "what now?" about everything.

I love how Nephi doesn't let us be stuck. When I get to the other side, I'm going to give him a big wet kiss... provided his wife doesn't beat me for kissing her husband on the cheek. :D

2 Nephi 32:1-3,5
1 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, I suppose that ye ponder somewhat in your hearts concerning that which ye should do after ye have entered in by the way. But, behold, why do ye ponder these things in your hearts?
2 Do ye not remember that I said unto you that after ye had received the Holy Ghost ye could speak with the tongue of angels? And now, how could ye speak with the tongue of angels save it were by the Holy Ghost?
3 Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.

5 For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do.


Nephi refers to the words of Christ as the power of the Holy Ghost. Here we are to work exclusively on hearing the voice of the Lord through the Holy Ghost as well as receive angels.

But he doesn't end his explanation of the course there... He mentions the natural progression... the progression to the C&E being made sure.

2 Nephi 32: 6
6 Behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and there will be no more doctrine given until after he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh. And when he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh, the things which he shall say unto you shall ye observe to do.


The Baptism of Fire and Holy Ghost

A good example can be found in Helamen 5: 44-49

44 And Nephi and Lehi were in the midst of them; yea, they were encircled about; yea, they were as if in the midst of a flaming fire, yet it did harm them not, neither did it take hold upon the walls of the prison; and they were filled with that joy which is unspeakable and full of glory.
45 And behold, the Holy Spirit of God did come down from heaven, and did enter into their hearts, and they were filled as if with fire, and they could speak forth marvelous words.

(Speak with the tongue of angels or the voice of authority)

46 And it came to pass that there came a voice unto them, yea, a pleasant voice, as if it were a whisper, saying:
47 Peace, peace be unto you, because of your faith in my Well Beloved, who was from the foundation of the world.
48 And now, when they heard this they cast up their eyes as if to behold from whence the voice came; and behold, they saw the heavens open; and angels came down out of heaven and ministered unto them.
49 And there were about three hundred souls who saw and heard these things; and they were bidden to go forth and marvel not, neither should they doubt.
Find me at: http://LittlePrepperDoc.com/

Elder Neal A Maxwell: "One cannot have adequate faith in a Christ whom he does not adequately know."
serenitylala
captain of 100

User avatar
 

Re: Calling and Election made sure

Unread postby serenitylala » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:24 am
Okay, one last thing before I go to bed. Someone's favorite scriptures got me thinking about this subject...

Baptism of Fire and Holy Ghost

It can be a lifelong series of events... granted, it starts after the baptism of water and the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost... or one can culminate in one event as with the Lamanites in Helamen 5... or be both a culmination and a series of events together.

I believe there is a quote from Joseph Smith on what happens to a person when they receive the Baptism of Fire that entails if a person is of Israel than they are enlightened with no physical change... whereas if they have a lot of gentile blood in them, the Holy Ghost cleanses it out of them and there is a decidedly obvious physical change.

In addition to that, the Baptism of Fire and Holy Ghost is known to heal an individual of all ailments, or the majority of ailments up until that point. (Note: Paul had a "thorn" in his side that was kept there to keep him humble. Darn those testy gallbladders ;).)


The Baptism of Fire and HG is obtained, through the grace of Christ, by diligently keeping the laws of sacrifice and the law of the Gospel... or can be achieved by an overwhelming change of heart... as with the Lamanites (Helamen 5) and the people of King Benjamin (Mosiah 5).


Differences in Baptisms of Fire and the Holy Ghost:

Some people hear the voice of the Lord proclaiming that they are clean from sin.

Others are engulfed or consumed in a warm/hot bright white light. (Helamen 5)

2 Nephi 4:21


21 He hath filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh.

And also...

Heber C. Kimball:

Under the ordinances of baptism and the laying on of hands, I received the Holy Ghost, as the disciples did in ancient days, which was like a consuming fire. I felt as though I sat at the feet of Jesus, and was clothed in my right mind, although the people called me crazy.
I continued in this way for many months, and it seemed as though my body would consume away; at the same time the scriptures were unfolded to my mind in such a wonderful manner that it appeared to me, at times, as if I had formerly been familiar with them. [Pp. 38–39 in Whitney, Orson F. 1888. Life of Heber C. Kimball. Salt Lake City, UT: The Kimball Family.]

Others receive a sign, such as a dove.

Others have the scriptures opened to them in a way that they had never before had, and/or they are given over to prophecy.


JS History 1:73

73 Immediately on our coming up out of the water after we had been baptized, we experienced great and glorious blessings from our Heavenly Father. No sooner had I baptized Oliver Cowdery, than the Holy Ghost fell upon him, and he stood up and prophesied many things which should shortly come to pass. And again, so soon as I had been baptized by him, I also had the spirit of prophecy, when, standing up, I prophesied concerning the rise of this Church, and many other things connected with the Church, and this generation of the children of men. We were filled with the Holy Ghost, and rejoiced in the God of our salvation.

Or there could be a combination of all or some of the above.

Whatever the way it may manifest, the individual receiving it is changed so that they have no more disposition to do evil... they repent as soon as they sin. They truly feast upon the words of the Lord and the windows of heaven begin to open to their understandings more so than they had ever before.
Find me at: http://LittlePrepperDoc.com/

Elder Neal A Maxwell: "One cannot have adequate faith in a Christ whom he does not adequately know."
serenitylala
captain of 100

User avatar
 
Posts: 860
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:50 am




Re: Calling and Election made sure

Unread postby poranginui » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:57 am
I know this is an old thread. I am interested in hearing from people who have had the baptism of fire and calling and election. Lost of theory but no evidence in the thread.

Although there is a commonly expressed view that we ought not to share spiritual experiences this is not true if you are given permission (i.e from the Lord as I am sure that he will censor your text as he did the writers in the Book of Mormon) The reason I raise this point is that we are in the end game and experience not theory is valuable right now.

Baptism of Fire: It is simply proper repentance see Enos for an example of this method. You stay there until cleansed. You will know with a perfect knowledge that you have received the first comforter. After this you will be able to converse with the Lord as one man converses with another.

After that you will be tried in all things, this is the toughest because what ever you are attached will be used against you. Even you children. Then an Abrahamic trial will be placed upon you. The thing that is interesting is that you may not realize the level of the trial until after you receive your calling and election. You know you have received you calling and election, not because the Savior appears to you but because he tells you and then places his hands upon your head, you will feel his hands literally and he will say in the blessing that you calling and election is made sure, he will then warn you to "not cast this out because of unbelief" which you will immediately begin to do anyway.

I have gotten permission to share what I have and can share no more. Please do not ask me anything else. I have nothing else. The Lord will give you all that you want. Go after the first comforter, use Enos as a model. Moroni's words with " a sincere heart, real intent" you WILL receive what you hope for.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would love that. I am fascinated by this topic - one that is mostly glossed over in the Church but that should be the focus of those who are ready to move into the "meat" phase of seeking further light and knowledge.

    My e-mail is: thewoodzonemailbag@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete