THIS BLOG ATTEMPTS TO SHOW HOW SCIENCE IS CATCHING UP WITH REVEALED RELIGION

THIS BLOG IS AN ATTEMPT TO PUT ALL THE COOL STUFF THAT I BUMP INTO ABOUT THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST AND EVENTS THAT LEAD UP TO IT INTO ONE LOCATION.
THE CONTENTS WILL BE FROM AN LDS PERSPECTIVE. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ANYTHING IN HERE, I DO NOT PARTICULARLY CARE TO ARGUE, UNLESS YOU CAN ADD TO THIS BODY OF WORK. I HAVE AN OPEN MIND, THAT IS WHY I READ STUFF FROM ALL DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES AND SEEK LEARNING FROM THE BEST BOOKS. I JUST AM NOT HERE TO ARGUE ABOUT IT - BUT TO PUT IT OUT THERE WHERE OTHERS CAN PERUSE/PURSUE IT. I TAKE PARTICULAR INTEREST IN HONEST SEEKERS OF TRUTH AND BELIEVE THAT SCIENCE IS REVEALED RELIGION'S BEST ALLY. YOU WILL SEE ALOT OF TOPICS IN THIS BLOG THAT SHOW SCIENCE BACKING - AND SLOWLY CATCHING UP WITH - REVEALED RELIGION.
ENJOY!!

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

THE SIZE OF THE NEW JERUSALEM?

Post-Fourth of July factiod from LDSAVOW:

Do you know the size of New Jerusalem When I was studying Isaiah a year ago, I cross referenced it with Revelations. Needless to say I was astounded when I learned the following. Revelations 21:16 "And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth; and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal" In other words New Jerusalem is massive. A furlong = 1/8 of a mile. 12,000 = 1500 miles.

1500 miles is the correct answer.....  I had not thought of this before, let alone done the math.  I always knew it was big, remembering back to TotPJS and the statement that it would fill the plains.  That is one megacity!  Sorry for all you country bumpkins out there..... :)

I was corresponding with a reader who help, helped me to understand the idea that getting to Zion is as much a process as is becoming a Zion-like person.  You move from one level to another until you are able to abide a terrestrial abode.  Just as in everything else in life, we move from one state to another as we become proficient and perfected in the thing we were trying to get past.

How awesome is that?  I love people who get it and are actively seeking this stuff out on their own without having to be prompted.  Spiritual self-starters make it into heaven.  Those who have to be commanded in all things?  Not so much.  But there are plenty of good abodes - so we will go where we are comfortable where we are at.

Those who calculate the size of the NJ get bonus points, for sure and an extra bathroom or guest bedroom in their heavenly abode.....

Once in Teachers Quorum, I calculated the theoretical diameter of Kolob based on length of day and a few other clues given in scripture - and using my physics book - and sure enough it is one big momma.  I could not conceive of its size until I began to see the youtubes showing the mega-stars that are out there - and yeah.  BIG!!!  (Click link)  Everlasting burnings - hot, bright and beautiful, baby.  Purifying and perfecting - darkness abating goodness.

When I have gone to wedding receptions of some of the kids from that class, they still talk about my lessons and how we figured out the diameter of Kolob.   It took the whole 45 mins and the whole board.

Good times.

 

2 comments:

  1. When I was reading the Book of Revelation several years ago I did the calculations and was also amazed at the size of the city boundaries.

    To put it in context, my parents used to live near Reno, NV, and were called to serve in the Independence, Missouri, mission. The distance from Reno to Independence is 1,599 miles by road, or about 1,354 straight-line miles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious as to the formula you used for Kolob. I don't want the answer, just the formula, so I can work it out.

    Of course all credit would go to you

    ReplyDelete