THIS BLOG ATTEMPTS TO SHOW HOW SCIENCE IS CATCHING UP WITH REVEALED RELIGION

THIS BLOG IS AN ATTEMPT TO PUT ALL THE COOL STUFF THAT I BUMP INTO ABOUT THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST AND EVENTS THAT LEAD UP TO IT INTO ONE LOCATION.
THE CONTENTS WILL BE FROM AN LDS PERSPECTIVE. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ANYTHING IN HERE, I DO NOT PARTICULARLY CARE TO ARGUE, UNLESS YOU CAN ADD TO THIS BODY OF WORK. I HAVE AN OPEN MIND, THAT IS WHY I READ STUFF FROM ALL DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES AND SEEK LEARNING FROM THE BEST BOOKS. I JUST AM NOT HERE TO ARGUE ABOUT IT - BUT TO PUT IT OUT THERE WHERE OTHERS CAN PERUSE/PURSUE IT. I TAKE PARTICULAR INTEREST IN HONEST SEEKERS OF TRUTH AND BELIEVE THAT SCIENCE IS REVEALED RELIGION'S BEST ALLY. YOU WILL SEE ALOT OF TOPICS IN THIS BLOG THAT SHOW SCIENCE BACKING - AND SLOWLY CATCHING UP WITH - REVEALED RELIGION.
ENJOY!!

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

PROFANING THE SABBATH - SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT THIS SUNDAY

I like football.  I despise the FACT that they have made it a Sunday pasttime for the godless who have thrown the notion of a Supreme Being to the curb.  We all decide whom we will follow based on our actions.  If it were strictly a Saturday thing, I would have no problem.  It is amazing that I can talk about who won what game on the Lord's day at any time at work without recrimination - but heaven forbid me talking about what I did that was really important on Sunday.  I now just mock people and ask if the Penguins were able to beat the Mariners.....  Blank stares.....

It is also funny that people call me fanatical for being so into what I am into on this blog - but have no problem dying their hair to match team colors and having full-on parties in their homes costing hundreds of dollars to worship a little brown oblong ball.  Nuts.

I thought this was interesting commentary from our PS&Rs:

Super Bowl Sunday is coming up; did you know that prophets have given specific counsel about it?
“My behavior on the Sabbath constitutes my sign to the Lord of my regard for him and for my covenants with him. If, on the one hand, my interests on the Sabbath day are turned to activities such as pro football games or worldly movies, the sign from me to him would clearly be that my devotions do not favor him. If, on the other hand, my Sabbath interests are focused on the Lord and his teachings, on the family, or on folks who are sick or poor or needy, that sign would likewise be evident to God. I have concluded that our activities on the Sabbath will be appropriate when we honestly consider them to be our personal sign of our commitment to the Lord.
- Elder Russell M. Nelson

(“Reflection and Resolution,” BYU Fireside, Jan. 7, 1990)
“The Sabbath of the Lord is becoming the play day of the people. It is a day of golf and football on television, of buying and selling in our stores and markets. Are we moving to mainstream America as some observers believe? In this I fear we are. What a telling thing it is to see the parking lots of the markets filled on Sunday in communities that are predominately LDS. Our strength for the future, our resolution to grow the Church across the world, will be weakened if we violate the will of the Lord in this important matter. He has so very clearly spoken anciently and again in modern revelation. We cannot disregard with impunity that which He has said”
- Gordon B. Hinckley
(Ensign, Nov. 1997).

3 comments:

  1. HI Iraq, I can't agree more with your work and statement. Elder Bednar recently was at a BYU-I Devotional and gave for the 3rd time a warning about treating the Sabbath and other things give by the Lord lightly and with disrespect. (my summary) If you want I bet you can find the talk somewhere. It was awesome and I am so grateful to be able to hear BYU-I radio. I enjoy hearing the talks. On another side, Rexburg Idaho, just recently opened up a Super Walmart and they do close at 11:00 (23:00 hrs) due to county/city ordinances. But, there is a petition going around right now to have them be closed on Sundays and then someone decided to start another petition to keep it opened.
    The talk was about 1 or maybe 2 weeks ago. The Warning was pretty STRONG. How quick they forget. I don't understand why they would try to stop the first petition...It is necessary in my mind and the Sabbath and warning(s) should be observed. I wish it was that everyone would observe the Sabbath, even if to just stop shopping. It use to be that way. I remember it. And I grew up in Ohio and I am a convert.

    Keep going Iraq, keep searching and bring us good / pertinent news. kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got baptized on Super Sunday, 13 years ago. Have not watched the Super Bowl since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The following was from a talk given by Sarah Menet, who had an NDE. I believe there will be a cleansing within the LDS church, but we have been given explicit instructions, especially in the last two or three General Conferences, to keep the Sabbath Day Holy.

    This is what Sarah Menet said:

    "You will be protected from the plagues and the biological warfare if you keep the Sabbath day holy. Now I am telling you this is one of the biggest reasons why Utah is going to have the destructions that it is, because of the saints here. I do not care how good they are, they do not keep the Sabbath holy. You know they do not. How many people do you know who keep the Sabbath holy? No it is not just shopping on Sunday. That is a big one to me. I do not care if my child had no milk and was hungry. He would have to wait to eat until the next day. I will not spend a dime on Sunday for anything. I will not go near a store. Part of keeping the Sabbath holy is, of course, attending our meetings. That takes about three hours in a day."

    "The other thing that I advocate for people to do in keeping the Sabbath holy is giving your time to the Lord. That is not watching a great movie."

    "I had a sweet lady who said, "What about Touch by an Angel - that is a good show."

    "Touch by an Angel may be okay, not for me but ok for you. That means restricting yourself from the pleasures of this world on Sunday. That is keeping the Sabbath. In Old Testament times they were executed for breaking the Sabbath. That is how important it was to keep the Sabbath day holy. It is God's day. It is giving that day to the Lord. That is going to the hospital or calling your stake president or bishop and asking if there is anyone sick in the ward or lonely or elderly. Bake cookies, buy a little $4 arrangement, get a $1 card if you cannot afford that, do something, and show up at strangers."

    We all have choices. This is one way we can show our Heavenly Father, how important He is to us. In the New Testament it says "If ye love me, keep my commandments"

    And in the Doctrine & Covenants 82:10 it says "I the Lord am bound if ye do what I say, but if ye do not what I say, ye have no promise."

    The Lord has spoken, now it's up to us. I believe we cannot expect the Lord to protect us, if we refuse to keep His commandments, and that includes "KEEPING THE SABBATH DAY HOLY.

    ReplyDelete