THIS BLOG ATTEMPTS TO SHOW HOW SCIENCE IS CATCHING UP WITH REVEALED RELIGION

THIS BLOG IS AN ATTEMPT TO PUT ALL THE COOL STUFF THAT I BUMP INTO ABOUT THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST AND EVENTS THAT LEAD UP TO IT INTO ONE LOCATION.
THE CONTENTS WILL BE FROM AN LDS PERSPECTIVE. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ANYTHING IN HERE, I DO NOT PARTICULARLY CARE TO ARGUE, UNLESS YOU CAN ADD TO THIS BODY OF WORK. I HAVE AN OPEN MIND, THAT IS WHY I READ STUFF FROM ALL DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES AND SEEK LEARNING FROM THE BEST BOOKS. I JUST AM NOT HERE TO ARGUE ABOUT IT - BUT TO PUT IT OUT THERE WHERE OTHERS CAN PERUSE/PURSUE IT. I TAKE PARTICULAR INTEREST IN HONEST SEEKERS OF TRUTH AND BELIEVE THAT SCIENCE IS REVEALED RELIGION'S BEST ALLY. YOU WILL SEE ALOT OF TOPICS IN THIS BLOG THAT SHOW SCIENCE BACKING - AND SLOWLY CATCHING UP WITH - REVEALED RELIGION.
ENJOY!!

Sunday, November 4, 2012

PREACHING THE GOSPEL WITHOUT PURSE OR SCRIP

This is somewhat of a journal entry.

I have always thought that the terms purse and scrip both refer to money.  I just researched and found that this may not necessarily be the case:

I read with interest Pat Perkins’ comment in the December Ensign, p. 56, regarding the word scrip. There are many references to scrip in the Bible: 1 Sam. 17:40, Matt. 10:10, Mark 6:8, Luke 9:3, Luke 10:4, Luke 22:35–36.
Without exception these references are to a bag used to carry provisions, a sack in which clothing and/or food was carried. In no case do they refer to money. The “purse” in these scriptures is a money bag. The reference in Mark clearly distinguishes between “money in their purse” and “scrip,” neither of which was to be taken by missionaries.
William Smith’s Dictionary of the Bible clarifies that “scrip” was a bag in which Palestinian shepherds “carried their food or other necessities. The connotation here is a stronger injunction than “don’t take money.” The Savior required that more faith be exercised: do not take money or food or extra clothing. Trust in God to provide all that you need, through the kindness of those whom you meet.
Three references in the Doctrine and Covenants (D&C 24:18, D&C 84:78, 86) suggest that those who go out to preach the gospel leave money, extra clothing, food, and luggage behind. The Doctrine and Covenants Commentary discusses scrip as a knapsack or satchel (p. 171).
The phrase “without purse or scrip” takes on special meaning to those who receive the priesthood call to so go. Scholarly definitions pale next to the legitimate experience of relying on the Lord for physical as well as spiritual sustenance.
Blaine Lee
Provo, Utah

In the old days (Christ's time), you were given the task of going from city to city and relying 100% on the Lord as you preached and found your way among the people finding the honest in heart.  Where you were rejected - and the Spirit testified to do it - you dusted your feet off as a witness against those people in the day of judgement (similar to the special prayer I have mentioned in previous posts for those who openly belittle a servant of God simply passing on His message).

The mandate was very clear back in the day.  This practice will become more commonplace as the work speeds up as there will be little or no time to dilly-dally around.  It will be all business.  You opened new areas as directed by the Spirit and you were the Branch President, the Sunday School President, EQ President all in one.  I so wanted to do that on my mission.  I had just been released from duties as Assistant to the President and was sent north to Belem, Para the largest city on the mouth of the Amazon River.  I was jazzed to be in such an exotic location.  It was the only place where I know I had angels watching out for me - and without which I received a confirmation that I would have been shot one evening by desperados who inhabited the shanty areas built over the shore areas of the Amazon.  They had killed a Pastor the previous week over his $12 watch.  That must have been a special time in my mission - now that I think about it - as I also there received the witness that I would not live past my mid-30's and that I will visit every temple on the face of the earth.  The mid-30's thing has already happened - I am 44 now - but my wife was allowed to choose that it not be me sent over to assist on the other side, but our son was taken within 2 days of the date that I predicted that I was supposed to go in the middle of my 33rd year.  And my wife did not believe me at the time..... amazing.  I am positive that I will visit all temples on the face of the earth if I remain true and faithful and am able to raise my son in the Millennium to his full stature so he can marry and fulfill his earthly ministry.  I cannot wait for that.  What a guy he is - very large of spirit.

Back on track.  Our mandate was to baptize worthy males who would one day become the future Stake Presidents - the mandate being given by L. Tom Perry who had visited the area in the late '80s.  While in Belem, we received several letters from members of the Church who lived in the delta area of the Amazon River over one hundred miles away (yes, its really that big) and only accessible by boat or plane, that they had around 20 people ready to receive the discussions and to be baptized and requested that we set up a branch there so that there could be regularly-scheduled meetings.  I passed that info along to my Mission President, Helvecio Martins and he was reticent to allow us off the work we were doing there in Belem.  After accomplishing what we did there, I am sure the correct decision was made at the time.  But I was chomping at the bit to have that "wild west" missionary experience.  I HATE nasty bugs that are big enough to be classed as pets, I HATE snakes, I HATE mystery meat, but I would have looked past all that to get out down and dirty and go for it out in the middle of nowhere and leave a big mark on the world.  I know that I will not get the chance to do it in the "waning years" - that is for the testosterone-fueled 18-19 year olds to handle.  My wife is not quite as tough an old goat as I still am, so she will probably moderate our activities during our Senior missions.  One of the things that may have swayed the Mission President's decision is that one small isolated ward had a Bishop who had been baptized within the last year or so and almost no men in the congregation.  They were out adulterating, drinking their cashaca until they were half blind and alot of other stuff.  So one Sunday, the new Branch President had no one to bless and pass the sacrament.  Problem solved - he grabbed several of the women from the front rows and spirited them off to his office.  After a short ordination, they were back on the right front pews ready to pass.  Word made it back to the Mission President - and he had to make the journey the 1200 miles to go take care of the embarrassing problem.  That was in a branch in Belem - so making inroads to even more remote places when the core of the future Stake was struggling was probably not appealing at the time.

Anyway, here is a link from a reader to a great essay on traveling without purse or scrip - and I know this will be the norm in the Millennium as those righteous (non-LDS) souls who make it through the coming purge are able to have traveling Elders and High Priests preach the good news to them:

CLICK LINK FOR ARTICLE


2 comments:

  1. wow got hair raising reading that. Need anything from the north? My wife and I are headed to Idaho falls for US thanksgiving. I am definitely trying to see how we can get some land and be able to get our selves a little more self sustaining without bugging out to my parents farm 3hrs away cause, we would have to make the trek back this direction again to gather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom really likes the codine (sp) pain-killers that they sell in Canada. (This is the blogger's wife.). She says it is the only thing that really works for her. How much are they, do you know by chance?

    ReplyDelete