THIS BLOG ATTEMPTS TO SHOW HOW SCIENCE IS CATCHING UP WITH REVEALED RELIGION

THIS BLOG IS AN ATTEMPT TO PUT ALL THE COOL STUFF THAT I BUMP INTO ABOUT THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST AND EVENTS THAT LEAD UP TO IT INTO ONE LOCATION.
THE CONTENTS WILL BE FROM AN LDS PERSPECTIVE. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ANYTHING IN HERE, I DO NOT PARTICULARLY CARE TO ARGUE, UNLESS YOU CAN ADD TO THIS BODY OF WORK. I HAVE AN OPEN MIND, THAT IS WHY I READ STUFF FROM ALL DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES AND SEEK LEARNING FROM THE BEST BOOKS. I JUST AM NOT HERE TO ARGUE ABOUT IT - BUT TO PUT IT OUT THERE WHERE OTHERS CAN PERUSE/PURSUE IT. I TAKE PARTICULAR INTEREST IN HONEST SEEKERS OF TRUTH AND BELIEVE THAT SCIENCE IS REVEALED RELIGION'S BEST ALLY. YOU WILL SEE ALOT OF TOPICS IN THIS BLOG THAT SHOW SCIENCE BACKING - AND SLOWLY CATCHING UP WITH - REVEALED RELIGION.
ENJOY!!

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

THE HISTORY OF THE SACRAMENT - BACK TO ADAM

I have made the following statement hundreds of times in ignorance - I would consider it my biggest doctrinal folly when I have taught others:
  "Then Jesus instituted the sacrament."

Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that statement - except it more accurately could have said:

              "Then Jesus re-instituted, or restored, the sacrament in its original form."

I always believed that it was the first time it had been broadly taught until I went to Sabbath prayer at my Jewish friend's house that I wrote about earlier:

(LINK LATER - CANNOT FIND IT....)

This earlier post seems to indicate that Joseph's wife (Asenath) was also given the sacrament as part of her induction into the faith of her husband-to-be:

http://woodyoubelieveit.blogspot.com/2011/10/christianity-as-outgrowth-of-judiaism.html

Here is an earlier recorded occurrence that shows that it was general in the old world and probably went back to Adam and Eve.  Note that one of the first things that Noah did after getting off the ark was to plant a vinyard - most likely to produce the grapes for the sacrament.  It was after doing so that Noah got tipsy and Ham ended up stealing his garment (the one passed down from Adam - that was placed on him in the Garden of Eden) that showed birthright and patriarchal authority.  This was not to be so, as the blessings came thru his brother, Shem - the father of the Semitic peoples (including Abraham).  Shem is Melchizedek - by most accounts including Joseph Smith.  Here is the Genesis 14 account of the encounter between Abraham and Noah's son:
18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
 19 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
 20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.
 21 And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself.
 22 And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the Lord, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,
 23 That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:
 24 Save only that which the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men which went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, and if you read Margaret Barker, she talks about the Shewbread and wine in the temple/tabernacle as a sacrament too. It's been part of every dispensation.

    ReplyDelete