THIS BLOG ATTEMPTS TO SHOW HOW SCIENCE IS CATCHING UP WITH REVEALED RELIGION

THIS BLOG IS AN ATTEMPT TO PUT ALL THE COOL STUFF THAT I BUMP INTO ABOUT THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST AND EVENTS THAT LEAD UP TO IT INTO ONE LOCATION.
THE CONTENTS WILL BE FROM AN LDS PERSPECTIVE. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ANYTHING IN HERE, I DO NOT PARTICULARLY CARE TO ARGUE, UNLESS YOU CAN ADD TO THIS BODY OF WORK. I HAVE AN OPEN MIND, THAT IS WHY I READ STUFF FROM ALL DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES AND SEEK LEARNING FROM THE BEST BOOKS. I JUST AM NOT HERE TO ARGUE ABOUT IT - BUT TO PUT IT OUT THERE WHERE OTHERS CAN PERUSE/PURSUE IT. I TAKE PARTICULAR INTEREST IN HONEST SEEKERS OF TRUTH AND BELIEVE THAT SCIENCE IS REVEALED RELIGION'S BEST ALLY. YOU WILL SEE ALOT OF TOPICS IN THIS BLOG THAT SHOW SCIENCE BACKING - AND SLOWLY CATCHING UP WITH - REVEALED RELIGION.
ENJOY!!

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

ISAIAH AND POLYGAMY

I am involved in a discussion on FB on this subject - and it is surprisingly kind and dis-passionate compared to most other debates out there.  People are just presenting the facts in a loving manner.  Wow.

Here was some commentary talking of our future that will come about with brevity:

Found this commentary: 2 Ne 14:1 seven women shall take hold of one man

So many men will be killed in the destructions and wars will which accompany the Second Coming that there will be an incredible difference in the number of living males and females. The culture of Isaiah, understandably, is reflected in his prophecies—as in the statement, ‘only let us be called by thy name to take away our reproach.’ Anciently, a woman who could have no children was described with the unflattering adjective, “barren.” This was because great emphasis was placed on marriage and a woman’s ability to have children.

“…’seven women’ (meaning simply a lot of women) will request a man’s hand in marriage. Economic problems will be such that these women will be willing to provide their own food and clothing, contrary to the usual marriage customs. According to the Hebrew scriptures (Exodus 21:10), a man was required to provide a wife with food and clothing; but in this case Isaiah observes that the women are willing to waive that right. Having a good knowledge of the importance of marriage, they request a man to take away their reproach. In Isaiah's day and, indeed, in many parts of the Near East today, it was and is a disgrace to remain unmarried.” (Book of Mormon compendium, by Sidney Sperry, chapter 11, 2 Nephi14)

Wilford Woodruff
“I had been reading the revelations…[when] a strange stupor came over me and I recognized that I was in the Tabernacle at Ogden. I arose to speak and said…I will answer you right here what is coming to pass shortly….I then looked in all directions…and I found the same mourning in every place throughout the Land. It seemed as though I was above the earth, looking down to it as I passed along on my way east and I saw the roads full of people principally women with just what they could carry in bundles on their backs…It was remarkable to me that there were so few men among them…Wherever I went I saw…scenes of horror and desolation rapine and death…death and destruction everywhere. I cannot paint in words the horror that seemed to encompass me around. It was beyond description or thought of man to conceive. I supposed that this was the End but I was here given to understand, that the same horrors were being enacted all over the country…Then a voice said ‘Now shall come to pass that which was spoken by Isaiah the Prophet That seven women shall take hold of one man…’” (Journal of Wilford Woodruff, June 15, 1878 as taken from Isaiah: Prophet, Seer, and Poet, by Victor L. Ludlow, p. 109)

Here is more of my commentary on the FB thread:
 The best book I have ever read on the matter. I think it is kind of meaty if you are struggling with some of the more mundane stuff - but yeah. In order to be a Rabbi in the day (and still today amongst the modern Jewry), you have to be typically a first-born male, at least 30 years old, and you HAD to be married. Period. The Pharisees and Sadducees of the time would have nailed Him on any little detail that He did not have right. The marriage thing would have been a huge red flag for them. They were trying to get Him on petty stuff - the marriage thing would have rocked them. The thing that set him at odds with the notions of the day was the same thing that got Joseph in trouble in the Victorian era, was that plural marriage was out of vogue in 30AD (though many Rabbis in the Middle Ages reconciled that point and married plurally). There is a book that I am grinding through right now (625 pages - BIG pages) that goes into detail on the marriage and the odyssey of Jesus' wives and posterity (yep - quarter gods!). The descendants of these unions are all around us right now - and most of what I call "the earlies" - who recognized the Gospel and were magnetically drawn to it - are those descendants. What are known as "the Holy Seed". Eliza R. Snow and so many others. Lucy Mack Smith was a direct descendant of Jesus' line (Judah) and Joseph Smith Sr. was a direct descendant of Joseph of Egpyt (Joseph). There is amazing power in that fact. The history blows even my mind and I have been studying this stuff for decades.

 Here is a link to read some excerpts online. It is so fascinating, it is hard to put down. The guy who wrote is a HP Group Leader and the former Director of the Springville Museum of Art. Quite a guy. Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/Dynasty-Holy-Grail.../dp/1555178235...
Dr. Vern G. Swanson has produced a thought-provoking book on the topic of the Holy Grail…
amazon.com
 
You have read about polyandry in the scriptures with Joseph (Jesus's step-father and God the Father) - Mary was carrying a child from one, while being married (at least for time) to the other. That is fact. It is also (implied) fact, that Jesus was married to at least one woman while in His ministry - more likely about from the age of 20 - it was a hard and fast requirement to be married in order to be a Rabbi. The being married to multiple women is a matter of historical fact - not scriptural fact. They all can be read in that book I referenced above. You can read much of it online at that Amazon link I provided. Truly amazing stuff. People have NO idea of the actual history of the world - so I kind of chuckle about them flipping out over the more mundane stuff. Kind of like a calculus student knowingly chuckling over the algebra student struggling with variables.

I recommend that book. If you are into heavy reading, it is just great stuff. The author must be one heckuva Gospel Doctrine teacher! He found stuff I have never heard of from sources I can only imagine about. The case in the early ..

 Once you find that Jesus was involved in all this, it kind of draws the fire away from Joseph Smith. If Jesus was involved - well, you kind of have to re-frame the arguments against polygamy, Section 132 and all that jazz altogether. You either have to throw it all away or accept all of it. And finally accept that God is most likely in on it and the author of this system - just as it says in Section 132.
 
I understand why it is hard for women. It does seem "unfair" to say the least. We all like a level playing field. Maybe it would seem more "fair" if women were allowed to have more than one man.... At the very least, it is a trial of faith for most.
 
 What about God with Joseph? How far do you not "allow" things to go from your perspective before you finally tell the Lord in humility that you do not know all things - but accept His will no matter how hard that would be to do? That is what I have gone with. I think anything else, in the face of obvious facts, is kind of spiritual suicide.

No comments:

Post a Comment