THIS BLOG ATTEMPTS TO SHOW HOW SCIENCE IS CATCHING UP WITH REVEALED RELIGION

THIS BLOG IS AN ATTEMPT TO PUT ALL THE COOL STUFF THAT I BUMP INTO ABOUT THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST AND EVENTS THAT LEAD UP TO IT INTO ONE LOCATION.
THE CONTENTS WILL BE FROM AN LDS PERSPECTIVE. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ANYTHING IN HERE, I DO NOT PARTICULARLY CARE TO ARGUE, UNLESS YOU CAN ADD TO THIS BODY OF WORK. I HAVE AN OPEN MIND, THAT IS WHY I READ STUFF FROM ALL DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES AND SEEK LEARNING FROM THE BEST BOOKS. I JUST AM NOT HERE TO ARGUE ABOUT IT - BUT TO PUT IT OUT THERE WHERE OTHERS CAN PERUSE/PURSUE IT. I TAKE PARTICULAR INTEREST IN HONEST SEEKERS OF TRUTH AND BELIEVE THAT SCIENCE IS REVEALED RELIGION'S BEST ALLY. YOU WILL SEE ALOT OF TOPICS IN THIS BLOG THAT SHOW SCIENCE BACKING - AND SLOWLY CATCHING UP WITH - REVEALED RELIGION.
ENJOY!!

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

LIFE HISTORY OF HANS ULRICH BRYNER JR. - A BLIND PIONEER OF UTAH

Wow - what can I say?  I just got done typing this story in to Family Search - and I am not the best typist.  I originally scanned it into a .pdf and then tried to do an OCR to get the text into a .doc file so I could just clean it up and dump into Family Search.....  If anyone has tips for a good free online OCR program, I am ALL ears!  Please add a comment with a link.  My next ancestral story was shared in Conference by President Packer (I think we are related), and I have "the rest of the story" that is exciting and interesting.  But MUCH longer than the story below and my sausages for fingers have a hard time typing it all in.....

Hans Bryner had a cool vision of his eventual conversion and the Elder who was his "earthly angel".  When I get some time, I will share a story of a woman who we tracted into on my mission, that had a vision and saw me and my companion the night before we arrived on her doorstep.  God truly is merciful to those who are humble and teachable and are seeking His will.  Miracles are for those who seek God's will enthusiastically (not half asleep or with anything less than full purpose of heart).

For those who are proud, haughty, insolent and unteachable, the life-changing experiences never come.  God, if asked, will allow you to have experiences that will bring you into the depths of humility and the revelation and growth will begin to enter your life without measure.  God WANTS to bless us.  We, through overt actions - and in accord with our agency - have to invite Him into our lives and allow Him to do the mighty changes in order that we might become His sons and daughters and be bastards (children of the rebellious one) no more.

Here is the history.  Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!

THE LIFE OF HANS ULRICH BRYNER JR. - CONVERSION AND IMMIGRATION TO UTAH

Edit Story
Hans Ulrich's father was born 2 May 1806 also named Hans Ulrich. His mother, Verena Wintch was born 26 Feb 1804. They were orphans and married at ages 20 and 22. Very poor, yet honest. His father made a living by mending shoes, which Ulrich, as a boy of ten, and eldest of the children at the time he writes of, had to pick up and deliver shoes. Times when his task or his play or loitering threw him later than was expected, he was rewarded by a certain number of lashes from a strap that hung handy for the purpose. He says his father was very strict, his mother unusually kind. Swiss children were required to go to school from ages 6 to 12. These children did just that, along with daily Bible reading, which must never be neglected. The children had a good education. Ulrich was required to read to his father as he worked on the shoes, so he became an excellent reader. He also wrote well. He gives as his testimony - that the way and his brothers and sisters were raised was the greatest blessing - worth far more than money. When he was ten, or thereabout, the family moved to a farm. His mother was promised an easier life, the hard work of weaving, etc would be ended. It proved the other way about, after the farm chores were done, then the sewing, carding, weaving and family care had to be done, but mother did not shirk any of it and the children all helped according to their ability. "In Jan 1843 at about 16 years of age, I was taken very sick. My schoolmate died of the disease and, of course, I should die also. In vision, a man came and took hold of my hand and led me half way around the world. I was in darkness. We came to the top of world, and there a bright light showed me the city of Zion which shone with the reflection of gold, glass and silver inside a wall with three gates, where only righteous people could come. I wanted to go there, but my guide put up his hand and said, "Your time is not yet. If you are faithful, you may go later." I looked at him, noted his hair, eye size, and clothing and knew that I would never forget him. I recovered from my illness, grew stout and healthy with all kinds of work and activities. I married this girl named Anna Marie Dorothea Mathis, known by the family as Marie. Two happy years followed, but our little girl died at 12 months. In the winter of 1853, I lost my eyesight. While butchering a hog, the gamble stick struck and put out one eye and infection spread to the other and I lost both eyes. Dispairing, desolate, nothing comforted me. My Mother-in-Law said, "Your life was not taken. Perhaps good that you cannot now see, will come of it." Still, I felt that God had forsaken me. After four months, I had another vision. I told my parents, brothers and sisters about it. I was in a great dark room where different sizes of fires burned. The man who had taken me on the other journey stood before me. He opened a book, crossed out my sins - I saw them fall to the floor, then we went through the wall into a bright light that pointed the way to Zion. The way led across the sea with a big company of people, to New York, then Boston, then across a great prairie to the top of the Mountain where I had been before. A woman of my acquaintance thought to interpret this vision, saying that we would all go to America, find a great physician who would bring back my eyesight. Her father was willing to go, but thought we must first find out more about the country first. About this time, Brother George Meyer came to our city. I heard that he was from America and sent my sister to find him. He had left and no one knew if, or when, he might come back again. However, on the next Sunday, he was back. When we learned of it, my father and sisters went to hear him preach, then he came to our home and taught us the gospel. Before, we had read the same things he taught, but had never previously understood. We could not dispute a single scripture. His teaching was the same as that taught by the Apostles of old. Along with that, he told of Joseph Smith, the New Revelations. The Gathering, the organization and related subjects. All of our families heard and knew it to be the truth. Twelve were baptized,my mother-in-law testified that it was true, and from the description given of him, I knew that Elder Meyer was the man of my vision. Elder Meyer brought another with him to anoint and bless me for the return of my sight. My request that no one should come into the room during this ordinance was ignored by two women who would not be denied admission, saying, "If Bryner's sight is restored, we will believe." We would not use force, so they sat in the room. Next day, I could see a little, but that night, an evil spirit tried to choke me to death. I cried out, "In the name of Jesus Christ, let me alone." I told the folks about it, and they said, "Go back to bed, it is only a bad dream." The next day, all was blackness. One of the women told us she was choked too, until she promised to have no more to do with these Elders. She did not join the Church. My faith was not weakened, though I was shown that I must pass through fire. I tried to keep God's commandment, but thought it best not to be ordained a Teacher just yet. Then, I was shown another vision. I was standing in a meadow where a fire burned 1/2 mile away. I went to it, there was a man's face in it. He looked at me and I ran away, stumbled and fell. Then the face was over me looking down into mine. "Will you do what is required?", it asked. Yes will do as you say, I answered. I resolved to never again refuse to do anything that the authority asked of me. When I related this at a public meeting, Elder Meyer asked, if I was ready to be ordained. I was indeed! Very soon after this, we were on the ship, Enoch Train, bound for America. Myself, my wife and our baby. We spent 40 days on the ocean, arriving first at Boston, then New York, and then on to Florence, Nebraska. We joined a company of Saints to cross the Plains. At Devil's Gate, people and oxen froze to death. Mine and my teamsters feet were froze. This left my wife to do the driving. There was nine feet of snow. Men had to tramp a trail ahead for the oxen. There was no shelter, except what our poor wagon afforded. My brother and sister, who had come the year before, heard of our plight and came to meet us. They bypassed us somewhere and turned back to Salt Lake, reaching it about the same time that we did. A kind family took us in for the night. The next day, we rode on an open hayrack to Lehi (Utah County), where our other folks were located, and where we were to share what they had for the time being. My brother's family, my sister and my wife's brother welcomed us. The following summer, my father, mother and another sister with our young son joined us (We had left our young son with my parents in Switzerland, and they brought him with them this year). They came with ox teams. We were most grateful and felt that our lives had been spared. In the fall of 1861, I was called to Dixie to help pioneer and prepare for the building of the St. George Temple. We lived in a tent while we raised a little cotton and could acquire or build a house to live in. Trials, discouragements, shortages were our portion. We lived in New Harmony, Toquerville and St. George before I was called to pioneer the Price-Helper area. I want my children to revere their mother. For forty two years, she was my constant guide and companion. Maria Doratha died in Price, Utah. Hans Ulrich died 9 Feb 1905 in St. George, Utah.



1 comment:

  1. Family Search should soon give you the ability to upload the scanned pdf. Hopefully that will save your fingers some typing!

    ReplyDelete