THIS BLOG ATTEMPTS TO SHOW HOW SCIENCE IS CATCHING UP WITH REVEALED RELIGION

THIS BLOG IS AN ATTEMPT TO PUT ALL THE COOL STUFF THAT I BUMP INTO ABOUT THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST AND EVENTS THAT LEAD UP TO IT INTO ONE LOCATION.
THE CONTENTS WILL BE FROM AN LDS PERSPECTIVE. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ANYTHING IN HERE, I DO NOT PARTICULARLY CARE TO ARGUE, UNLESS YOU CAN ADD TO THIS BODY OF WORK. I HAVE AN OPEN MIND, THAT IS WHY I READ STUFF FROM ALL DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES AND SEEK LEARNING FROM THE BEST BOOKS. I JUST AM NOT HERE TO ARGUE ABOUT IT - BUT TO PUT IT OUT THERE WHERE OTHERS CAN PERUSE/PURSUE IT. I TAKE PARTICULAR INTEREST IN HONEST SEEKERS OF TRUTH AND BELIEVE THAT SCIENCE IS REVEALED RELIGION'S BEST ALLY. YOU WILL SEE ALOT OF TOPICS IN THIS BLOG THAT SHOW SCIENCE BACKING - AND SLOWLY CATCHING UP WITH - REVEALED RELIGION.
ENJOY!!

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

BIGFOOT AND CAIN

Well, I just ran into a most remarkable man named Daniel B.  I was supposed to purchase something from him on FB that I desperately need, and he was going to sell it to a person that drove several hours to come pick it up with their large truck and several men.  When he went to load it on the trailer, it would not run.  I was then called and I agreed to take it once the problem was repaired.

I agreed to meet with him to give him a down to hold it until the repair was completed.  I gave him the deposit and we started to chat.  Over time, he opened up and we had a most awesome four hour conversation in which he shared that he has the gift of healing, but has not been able to raise anyone from the dead.  He is not LDS, but clearly is a man of faith.  There are healings by the prayer of faith of the healer and the healed and some through the instrumentality of faith and Priesthood power.

One of the things that he has shared is that he has seen evil manifest in the forms of demonic creatures, including something he described as a bigfoot experience.  He is an avid hunter and his dad used to breed some of the best tracking hounds in the US.  He was out in the mountains near the Canadian border when he saw something moving through the trees much faster than a human can run, knocking down brush and small trees as it came up the valley towards him.  His friends ran, but he persuaded one with a .44 Magnum to lend him his gun to attempt to scare it off, which was successful after the second warning shot.  He said that his research into this stuff indicates that they come and go via "portals", which is very interesting.

I shared some details of our beliefs or lore on the matter.  Here is something that I thought I would look up so I could possibly share with him.  We have a lunch date on Friday.  The bromance is budding:

President Joseph F. Smith, Salt Lake City:

Dear Brother: In relation to the subject of the visit of Cain to Brother David W. Patten in the State of Tennessee, . . . It was in the evening, just twilight, when Brother Patten rode up to my father's house, . . . My mother having first noticed his changed appearance said: "Brother Patten, are you sick?" He replied that he was not, but had just met with a very remarkable personage who had represented himself as being Cain, who murdered his brother, Abel. He went on to tell the circumstances as near as I can recall in the following language:

As I was riding along the road on my mule I suddenly noticed a very strange personage walking beside me. He walked along-beside me for about two miles. His head was about even with my shoulders as I sat in my saddle. He wore no clothing, but was covered with hair. His skin was very dark . . .

Your friend and Brother, A. O. Smoot (Life of David W. Patten: the First Apostolic Martyr, by Lycurgus A. Wilson, Deseret News, 1900, pp. 57-59).



More awesome material:

Also - almost all Cain-sighting references found online spawn from the same source. This source. It’s a compilation thrown together by Mathew Bowman. He did a great job. Three of the four stories listed below can be found there.

As for #1 here, like I said, it’s probably the best known of the lot. But most other places where it’s posted don’t have this much detail:

1)   David Patten
“[David Patten] was making his home with Levi Taylor, the step-father of Abraham O. Smoot, at the time and had been to Paris, some sixteen miles away, holding a meeting. Riding home in the evening, just where his road lay through a dense growth of brush, called in those parts a "barren," he suddenly became aware that a person on foot by his side was keeping pace with the mule on which he rode.

“But the subjoined letter, dated at Provo, Utah, will explain the matter:
President Joseph F. Smith, Salt Lake City:

“Dear Brother:

“In relation to the subject of the visit of Cain to Brother David W. Patten in the State of Tennessee, about which you wrote to me, I will say that ac- cording to the best of my recollection it was in the month of September, 1835.
It was in the evening, just twilight, when Brother Patten rode up to my father's house, alighted from his mule and came into the house. The family immediately observed that his countenance was quite changed. My mother having first noticed his changed appearance said:

“"Brother Patten, are you sick?" He replied that he was not, but had just met with a very remarkable personage who had represented himself as being Cain, who murdered his brother, Abel. He went on to tell the circumstances as near as I can recall in the following language:

“"As I was riding along the road on my mule I suddenly noticed a very strange personage walking beside me. He walked along beside me for about two miles. His head was about even with my shoulders as I sat in my saddle.

“He wore no clothing, but was covered with hair. His skin was very dark. I asked him where he dwelt and he re- plied that he had no home, that he was a wanderer in the earth and traveled to and fro. He said he was a very miserable creature, that he had earnestly sought death during his sojourn upon the earth, but that he could not die, and his mission was to destroy the souls of men. About the time he expressed himself thus, I rebuked him in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by virtue of the Holy Priesthood, and commanded him to go hence, and he immediately departed out of my sight. When he left me I found myself near your house."

“There was much conversation about the circumstances between Brother Patten and my family which I don't recall, but the above is in substance his statement to us at the time. The date is, to the best of my recollection, and I think it is correct, but it may possible have been in the spring of 1836, but I feel quite positive that the former date is right.” (https://archive.org/details/lifeofdavidwpatt00wilsrich starts on P. 45)

This next one made an appearance on the blog before. It was on a list of miraculous temple dedications. This isn’t the sort of thing one thinks of when imagining a temple being committed to God. It is the sort of thing that should be on a list just like this:

2) E. Wesley Smith
“E. Wesley Smith, son of Prophet Joseph F. Smith, was serving as a mission president in Hawaii when he had his own encounter. According to Matthew Bowman's article published in the Journal of Mormon History, "A Mormon Bigfoot: David Patten’s Cain and the Concept of Evil in LDS Folklore," the night before the Laie Hawaii Temple was dedicated in 1921, E. Wesley experienced the following events: "A man came through the door. He was tall enough to have to stoop to enter. His eyes were very protruding and rather wild looking, his fingernails were thick and long. He presented a rather unkempt appearance and wore no clothing at all. . . . There suddenly appeared in [Smith’s] right hand a light which had the size and appearance of a dagger. . . . A voice said, “This is your priesthood.” He commanded the person in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ to depart. . . . Immediately when the light appeared the person stopped and on being commanded to leave, he backed out the door." (http://zionarise.org/ldsarticlesoctober14.pdf)

The materializing weapon is definitely unique. I’d like to hear this account straight from the mouth of E. Wesley to see if the original had a materializing Voltron sword. Unfortunately it’s lost to the ages.

Kind of following suit, here is another encounter with a large, hairy aggressor:

3) Non-Specific Apostle

“One 1984 tale spoke of an unnamed apostle from the 1920s whose car had broken down while he was in Mexico “checking up on the mission there.” While walking through the desert to find help, the apostle encountered “a very large man about 7 feet tall and very dark and harry [sic] coming towards him. . . . The Apostle asked him who he was. This man said he was Caine [sic] . . . [and tried] to over power [the Apostle, but] . . . the Apostle cast him out with the authority of the Priesthood.”” (https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=http://www.ldsliving.com/When-Cain-Appeared-to-Joseph-Fielding-Smith-s-Brother-And-Talked-with-Apostle-David-W-Patten/s/83424&httpsredir=1&article=1051&context=mormonhistory)

I’m proud of this next one – because it’s not already on the Bowman list. Quite a feat, believe you me. It sounds a lot like a typical Bigfoot sighting – but the creature asks questions! Speaking is much more Cain-sighting-esque, from what I’ve seen, than Bigfoot-sighting-esque:

4)   An Unspecified Grandfather
1981 B/M class, fall semester, a student said that her grandfather told her of this incident when he was fishing (in Montana). The age of the grandfather would place this incident in the 1940’s or 50’s.

“He said he was in an open valley with mostly open land around him and a hill behind him which ran down to the river. As he was fishing he sensed something coming up behind him because the hair on the back of his neck started to tingle. He turned and saw a very large black man, covered with hair and wearing no clothes, coming down the hill toward him.

“He immediately realized that there was no place to run or hide and the river was too big to allow him escape, so he stood there and waited for the creature to approach. It came directly to him and asked him “What time is it?” He replied with the time and was told, “No. Not the time. What time [year] is it?” upon hearing the answer he returned up the side of the hill and disappeared.” (http://emp.byui.edu/davisr/121/Cain.htm)

Simple request, right? Sounds like someone lost in time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment