THIS BLOG ATTEMPTS TO SHOW HOW SCIENCE IS CATCHING UP WITH REVEALED RELIGION

THIS BLOG IS AN ATTEMPT TO PUT ALL THE COOL STUFF THAT I BUMP INTO ABOUT THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST AND EVENTS THAT LEAD UP TO IT INTO ONE LOCATION.
THE CONTENTS WILL BE FROM AN LDS PERSPECTIVE. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ANYTHING IN HERE, I DO NOT PARTICULARLY CARE TO ARGUE, UNLESS YOU CAN ADD TO THIS BODY OF WORK. I HAVE AN OPEN MIND, THAT IS WHY I READ STUFF FROM ALL DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES AND SEEK LEARNING FROM THE BEST BOOKS. I JUST AM NOT HERE TO ARGUE ABOUT IT - BUT TO PUT IT OUT THERE WHERE OTHERS CAN PERUSE/PURSUE IT. I TAKE PARTICULAR INTEREST IN HONEST SEEKERS OF TRUTH AND BELIEVE THAT SCIENCE IS REVEALED RELIGION'S BEST ALLY. YOU WILL SEE ALOT OF TOPICS IN THIS BLOG THAT SHOW SCIENCE BACKING - AND SLOWLY CATCHING UP WITH - REVEALED RELIGION.
ENJOY!!

Saturday, September 1, 2012

A MAN WILL NOT BE DAMNED FOR BELIEVING TOO MUCH




The following are quotes by Joseph Smith on how much we should search the things of God in our studies.  There are several camps within the Church - one of them is that "you must eat white bread with apricot jam" in your gospel searchings - stay away from the big, bad mysteries.....".  I about barf when someone gives me that tripe.  I immediately avoid them like the plague for the mindless "gospel zombies" that they are.....  Heck, where would be without people who didn't follow the zombies of the day and were not afraid to ask a few questions to One who upbraids not for having asked the question.  I prefer what the founder of this dispensation had to say, as taken from LDSFF from a guy named "Bob":


I like to carry a few copies of the following quotes with me, stops a lot of potential arguments.

Joseph Smith; "It has always been my province to dig up hidden mysteries—
new things—for my hearers. (teachings p.364)" "I never hear of a man being damned for believing too much; but they are damned for unbelief."

Joseph Smith; "We deem it a just principle . . . that all men are created equal, and that all have the privilege of thinking for themselves upon all matters relative to conscience. Consequently, then, we are not disposed, had we the power, to deprive any one of exercising that free independence of mind which heaven has so graciously bestowed upon the human family as one of its choicest gifts."

Joseph Smith; “The Savior has the words of eternal life. Nothing else can
profit us. There is no salvation in believing an evil report against our neighbor.
I advise all to go on to perfection, and search deeper and deeper into the
mysteries of Godliness. A man can do nothing for himself unless God direct
him in the right way; and the Priesthood is revealed for that purpose.”
( Discourses of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p.364)

Alma explains the blessings of proper search and study of the scriptures
and the destructive results of "willful ignorance" of the word of God.

9. And now Alma began to expound these things unto him, saying: It is given
unto many to know the mysteries of God; nevertheless they are laid under a
strict command that they shall not impart only according to the portion of his word which he doth grant unto the children of men, according to the heed and diligence which they give unto him.
10. And therefore, he that will harden his heart, the same received the lesser portion of the word; and he that will not harden his heart, to him is given the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full.
11. And they that will harden their hearts, to them is given the lesser portion of
the word until they know nothing concerning his mysteries; and then they are taken captive by the devil, and led by his will down to destruction. Now this is what is meant by the chains of hell. (Alma 12:9-11.)

Having Little knowledge is described by Alma as "the chains of hell!" Get to much knowledge and supposed faithful church members have no problem with condemning you to hell! Wacky world!

Our standard works and the words of our modern-day prophets are "the portion of his word" referred to in the above passage, it's what has been revealed! The problem we searchers have is in getting people to understand what we are saying "has been revealed!"

Bob

3 comments:

  1. I have come to learn that "learning" the mysteries of God is literally a gift. I have found that the scripture that says, Seek and ye shall find, knock and the door shall be opened unto you can really happen. For the last couple of years I have been tutored much by the Lord as I have sought out very diligently what the truth is, and in His own due time has opened every door to my understanding for I am truly awake for the very first time in my entire life. I know if we really want to know, the Lord will tell us. It is a promise. The Lord wants us to understand and does not want for his children to be deceived.

    Thanks for your post! I enjoy reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eric,

    I will take it a step further than Bob (hopefully you won't be offended), and ask some questions that have perplexed me for quite some time (okay your favorite City slickers are partially to blame for my critical reading of the scriptures ... you know, the two you mentioned on LDSFF).

    Was Nephi righteous for having "great desires" and praying to learn the mysteries even while "exceedingly young".
    "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers." (1 Nephi 2:16)
    Were you wrong for studying the Book of Mormon at 12 or 13 and discovering the three writers in the book?


    Is it possible that only those who have received the "mysteries of [the] kingdom" have truly followed God's commandments (all others are foolish virgins)?
    "But unto him that keepeth my commandments I will give the mysteries of my kingdom, and the same shall be in him a well of living water, springing up unto everlasting life." (D&C 63:23.)

    Is it possible that all those Saints who have failed to seek the mysteries are "famished" and have "gone into captivity" for lack of knowledge?
    "Therefore, my people are gone into captivity, because they have no knowledge; and their honorable men are famished, and their multitude dried up with thirst." (2 Nephi 15:13.)

    Is it possible that until we have received power from heaven itself, we are only individually exercising the Aaronic Priesthood (even if we have been set apart for the Melchizedek Priesthood)?
    "The power and authority of the higher, or Melchizedek Priesthood, is to hold the keys of all the spiritual blessings of the church—

    To have the privilege of receiving the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, to have the heavens opened unto them, to commune with the general assembly and church of the Firstborn, and to enjoy the communion and presence of God the Father, and Jesus the mediator of the new covenant." (D&C 107:18-19.)

    Just some simple questions.

    Dimiwill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - the words of Isaiah cut to the core in 2Nephi 15:13. The multitude is often dried up with thirst....and often do not want to know, because it will make them accountable. I have been there, myself at times. It takes effort - and man is naturally resistant to work - or will not go there because he is laboring under sin.

    I love your commentary, Dimiwill. I really have a hunger and a thirst for the Book of Mormon that I have not had since I was in the MTC. It answered a critical question I had for my daughter who needs some guidance. It was a verse from 2 Nephi 15 that I had underlined while studying in the MTC.

    ReplyDelete